Whether it’s a nagging grandmother or an intense appreciation of the environmental cost of producing and consuming food, many people feel guilty about leaving something on the plate.
They do, though. A new study published in the International Journal of Obesity (via Grist) found that, on average, people only consume 92 percent of the food on their plates. The remaining 8 percent gets habitually wasted.
That amount of food consumed drops to 81 percent if the meal is unhealthy, which is good for the person brandishing the fork and knife, but not so good for the planet.
It may seem like a small amount, but all of this portions add up to a lot of wasted food, which could not only be put to better use feeding people who can’t count on their next meal, but also leaves a carbon footprint behind.